Search the Web

Custom Search

Monday, March 20, 2006

What Can YOU Do? What can we do

okay this one is a slightly serious one....

I watched 'Rang De Basanti' recently. It got me thinking about the dismal situation of India. Quite frankly I think India is not gonna improve much and very soon.You may not like what I said.... I don't like it ...but that is how I feel and how things look to me.

I feel that way because of all the daily things that happen to me, to others. Now I am not saying that other countries are perfect and that everything works...but I feel they do try harder.

As for the movie. I hate it when movies make a good point like this movie did ...but never show, how you, an average everyday person, on a daily basis, can do something to make a difference. I don't mean go and make donations to NGO's and help little kids out...although that is a start.

I mean fight the low level everyday things.

FIGHT a government official (anyone at any level) who wants to take a bribe. FORCE him to do his job the right way.
FIGHT a government official (anyone at any level) who is too lazy to do his job. FORCE him to do it.

PISS them off till something is done.

FIGHT the urge to pay bribes even if it means the difficult way out for YOU.
FIGHT the urge to be lazy and not do your work.

FIGHT mediocrity and never settle for substandard work.
FIGHT the urge to not give your best and do substandard work.

FIGHT corrupt Politicians. Shake their world if they misuse YOUR VOTE.

TEACH little kids from the ground up about values, and doing the right thing.
TEACH little kids about following the rules and obeying the rules.
TEACH people to be brave.
TEACH people to be less apathetic.

SLAP people into following the law and rules.

A few things to note here.

1. YOU have to do it ... and the benefits come back to YOU.
2. YOU have to FIGHT. It's way past the time to talk.


When a generation is stirred ... then only will something change for the better.

Now the tough questions. where do I start ? why should I? What difference will I make....
Am i just dreaming...and ranting.....
I want your views on this issue ...


Fancy Some Shopping?
Flipkart.com

8 comments:

Madame Mahima said...

i asked myself those exact same questions..
the most frustrating bit is you don't know where to start.

and even if u do, then how can you be sure one voice, one person will be enough to shake an entire system?
is everyone trying as hard as you?
does everyone have that fire in their belly?

and most importantly..for how long will the fire last?

surbhi seth said...

I'm proud of you!!! Your post is a start. You started by talking about it... now we can put those words to practice.. or atleast try our best to. Like you said, it's going to be hard.. and probably take a long time... but hey.. it's a start..n that's what one needs to get the ball rolling! So fight the system.. or like someone once said,"Join the revolution, or don't bitch about the system"!

Anonymous said...

honestly....
I really will not go out of my way to change the system....i know it sounds apthetic(it probably is) and i am fairly sure that thats the way that 99% of India feels...including you.

The best i aim to do is conduct myslef in the way i deem fit. Obviously society is gonna get in ur way ...by means of corrupt officials, draconian laws, discriminatory politics etc etc.
And in these situations too....you have to do what you think is better for yourself...honestly!!!

I REALLY REALLY would prefer giving 50 bucks to a traffic cop and get away rather than get my bike towed, take a receipt, go all the way to the courts, pay 200 bucks and get my bike back from there. I dare anyone to say they would prefer the system the other way round!

In Ayn Rand's own words....You be selfish...do what you think is right for yoursefl...work hard to fulfill your own dreams, society will benefit automatically.

Charity has absolutely zilch to do with improvement fo corruption and society in general. I am all for charity and do my best to do my little bit in helping...and i will be the first guy to admit that i dont do as much as i can. But in now way will i conform to the policies of the goddamn left which advocates sharing of wealth for no apparent reason.

It is the job of those in power to do what you are talking about...and i prefer to let it be that way. The people of the country have to take the blame upon themselves for voting the wrong guy in, if the politicians are not doing their bit.

And if our nation has a majority of illeterate boors whose vote can be bought off in the name of money and religion...well democracy aint for us is it?

Anonymous said...

people who have no work in life blog...
i dont need to speak more i guess...

surbhi seth said...

Mak-d... may I?!
Anonymous- I have a job, and I make time to blog too! It's called time management! And if it weren't for us bloggers, you'd have nothing to read on blogspot. I mean.. you ought to have a good reason browsing these blogs, if not jobless... what should 'I' call it?!!

Makdt said...

surbhi - feel free anytime.

yeah...of course you can comment as anonymous since you have not got the balls/ovaries to show your true name anywhere. And i agree with surbhi...you got no work too,if you are gonna read blogs which you think are a waste of time...
And as stated... we show our superior time management skills nad have some real things to say...unlike you being a waaste of life critic

Madame Mahima said...

anon is a douchebag.
hey anon..why are u commenting? im thinking you're the one who doesnt have a life.
moron.

Unknown said...

Where do we start?

I think its important to begin with the thought. As long as we hold the thought for change in our mind, then synchronus activities being to happen. I am sure the changes will come in soon. Its a matter of time before we have a critical mass of people who think alike :-)