Search the Web

Custom Search

Monday, January 30, 2006

A Different Perspective.

I am taking part in a Competition in my college for software making. You have to make a software that adheres to the theme "Software that makes a student's life Easier". My partner and I got a nice idea and we started about making the software.

He handles the algorithm at the back end and I am in charge of the GUI. It is specifically like that because of complications...

Well anyway, the task seemed quite straight forward. I started out on my part and kept getting stuck, a lot.
There were so many ideas I wanted to implement but didn't know how to. Some things I looked up on the net and found ...sometimes after 6 hours of searching. Then using that requires understanding, then fitting it to your purpose...which is especially difficult with other people's codes...with limited explanation (very little in some cases). Knowing the stuff and then doing it on your own, requires learning a lot of knowing the language before hand...and even then no book is complete.

Well of course as you would expect I did run into a lot of trouble but slowly and steadily I did figure things out and get things working.

During that time I realised how easy some things can be ...and how difficult others. This is of course after someone else has already made the basic functions and libraries inside the language, for you to use.

It made me realise the kind of work that goes into making software. It made me realise how important design is in Software Engineering.

I can actually now appreciate why big corporations are so hell bent on anti-piracy. To work so hard...so long...make all the sacrifices of time, money, sleep...and then not get your dues....really frustrating.

Am I anti-piracy? Well not completely. But I will think twice the next time I have a chance to get pirated software...then one more time after that ....and get back to normal after that ....

I guess I will try to buy it whenever possible.

I would be totally anti-piracy if that meant prices would drop a great deal so every one can buy software and no one has to pirate....That will be the day.


No comments: