Search the Web

Custom Search

Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Fountainhead

I finally finished Fountainhead today...a month after starting...struggle is the best word to describe it.

I spoke to 5 people who had read this book and 3 had left it midway.
I started this book with the certainty that I would not leave this book in the middle.
I almost did 3 times...

People love the ending with the character Howard Roark's speech.
I really don't think that the entire book is great...I hated most of it.....found it 'Mostly senseless' (pun on Douglas Adams' words from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy intended).

But none the less not bad...not great either...dunno if i will recommend it.

I want to have your thought and views on the Fountainhead.




Fancy Some Shopping?
Flipkart.com

5 comments:

surbhi seth said...

The Fountainhead you say?! Haven't read it, but now that I've read your review on it... I'm not keen on putting myself through torture like that!

jomy said...

Hey , i really liked the book !!

And definitely a refreshing change after all those Dan Browns , Sidney Sheldons , Mario Puzos etc etc ...

Though i never put the book down even once , the speeches were actually long ...especially the ones given by Elseworth Toohey

What i liked about the book , was the way the characters in the book were given shape ..Beautiful !

Defintely worth a read , ya !

Saurabh said...

The fountainhead is one of the most definitive book I have come across.

I agree that the characters are very surreal and very difficult to imagine in real life, but thats on purpose - else it would be very difficult for Rand to get her objectivism idea's through.

The book is definitely NOT for the casual reader - so if you aren't a pretty hardcore reader, you'll probably not like / finish the book.

Non readers should stick to the more popular Sidney Sheldons and Robin Cooks.

- Saurabh

Rishi Agarwal said...

ok... i agree with Saurabh .

I am a "casual reader" , but this book was really gud, i couldnt put it down . The way chracters were described was wonderful .The real face of the social circle was exposed properly.

MakD, maybe coz so many ppl. praised this book , u must be expecting something more out of it. But anyways, a gr8 book, and a must-read for every reader.

Jyothsana Chandramohan said...

Hey,
If you think FountainHead drove you crazy, I ll tell you about a book that drives you twice as crazy!
Its called "The Idiot".A different philosophjy is brought out here.

The charecters were well portrayed in Fountain Head, agree.But I would certainly prefer the hero this book "The Idiot" to Howard Roark.